Vocational Peer Supports
The Peer Specialist Movement embodies the Chrysalis strength based perspective. Vocational Peer Specialists provide individual support over a shared lived experience of mental health and/or substance use with peers who are working on their vocational goals. Vocational Peer Specialists are different than traditional clinicians, they use their unique set of experiences and recovery, and thrive when a peer support relationship is mutual. Vocational Peer Specialists demonstrate techniques in recovery and ongoing coping skills through:
- Lending their unique insight into mental health and/or substance use and what makes recovery possible.
- Cultivating empowering and supportive relationships with peers that promote self advocacy and stigma busting activities.
- Supporting the peer on problem solving techniques when barriers come up around goals.
- Supporting peers on how to identify and work through negative self-talk.
- Supporting and encouraging increased social skills in the community and encouraging various skills to support success within the workplace and in the community.
- Supporting peers in obtaining services and information that suit that individual’s recovery needs upon request.
- Attending Recovery Team meetings to promote self determination as a guiding ethical principle, and to educate about the peer support movement.
- Supporting the completion of job applications, building resumes and exploring finding a connection with something bigger than yourself.
- Seeking to understand the roles culture, community, and identity play in a peer’s life.
For more information on Wisconsin Certified Peer Specialists, visit wicps.org.
At this time, all individuals interested in Vocational Peer Supports must be connect to Medicaid funding through Comprehensive Community Services (CCS) or Community Recovery Services (CRS). To learn more about how to receive services from a Chrysalis Vocational Peer Specialist please contact Peer Specialist Supervisor, Kurt Stapleton at 608-256-3102 or firstname.lastname@example.org.