Job Announcement – Vocational Peer Specialist (Full-Time)
Chrysalis Mission Statement: Chrysalis promotes mental health recovery in our community by supporting work opportunities that encourage hope, healing and wellness.
Job Summary: The Vocational Peer Specialist is responsible for providing direct support services to peers within the community and telehealth. The Vocational Peer Specialist provides individual support over a shared lived experience of mental health and/or substance use with peers who are working on their vocational goals. Vocational Peer Specialists function as support persons demonstrating techniques in recovery and ongoing coping skills through:
- Lending their unique insight into mental health and/or substance use and what makes recovery possible.
- Cultivate empowering and supportive relationships with peers that promote self advocacy and stigma busting activities.
- Supporting the peer on problem solving techniques when barriers come up around goals.
- Supporting peers on how to identify and work through negative self-talk.
- Supporting and encouraging increased social skills in the community and encouraging various skills to support success within the workplace and in the community.
- Supporting peers in obtaining services and information that suit that individual’s recovery needs upon request.
- Attending Recovery Team meetings to promote self determination as a guiding ethical principle and to educate about the peer support movement.
- Support with completing job applications, building resumes and exploring finding a connection with something bigger than yourself.
- Seek to understand the roles culture, community, and identity play in peers’ lives.
- Building community relationships to become a leader in the Dane County Peer Specialist Community.
- Passionate about the Wisconsin Peer Specialist Code of Ethics, Core Competencies, and Scope of Practice and work with Assistant Director to implement these at Chrysalis.
- Attending community meetings and coalitions to advocate for peer support in multiple settings while advocating for peer voice.
The Vocational Peer Specialist is responsible for keeping all documentation accurate and within established timeframes, including: Progress notes, hour logs, monthly reports and releases of information.
- Strong commitment to principles of recovery and person-centered services
- Wisconsin Certified Peer Specialist
- Knowledge of federal and state laws governing the handling of confidential information
- Highly computer literate (i.e. in GSuites, Doc, Sheets, Meet, Zoom)
- Ability to support, evaluate and problem solve about mental health and job related concerns
- Creativity, organization, efficiency, flexibility and ability to take initiative, must be able to work independently.
- Ability to create and maintain professional boundaries
- Valid driver’s license, access to a car to use for work, and auto insurance
Work Conditions**: Shared office setting that promotes communication with co-workers. Staff provide the majority (65%) of services in the community, not limited to homes, treatment centers and participants’ place of employment. Staff are expected to travel throughout Dane County and transport participants when appropriate. The regular work week is Monday through Friday with scheduling flexibility to meet staff and program needs. Staff create their own schedule with consumers. Each day will look different based on specific job responsibilities and participant’s needs. Accommodations are available upon request.
**Due to the pandemic response we do not currently transport participants and now access telehealth service (40%) and direct one-on-one community service (25%) while following safety precautions. This will remain in effect for the foreseeable future. Staff also work from home regularly accessing Google Meet and Zoom to conduct virtual meetings using social distancing to cut down on contact per health agency’s recommendation to help keep our community safe.
Population Served: Chrysalis consumers have a wide array of different backgrounds and experiences. Staff is expected to be comfortable working with Individuals with all of the following;
- Mental Health and Addiction Diagnosis
- Current Substance Use
- Criminal Backgrounds
- Multi-cultural Identities
- Varied Levels of Engagement in Services
Hours: 8:30-4:30, Monday – Friday; flexible scheduling available, work schedule may vary to include evening or weekend hours to meet consumer need.
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Short and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Generous Earned Time Package
- Paid Holidays
- Flexible scheduling
- Training opportunities and professional development
- Mileage reimbursement
Chrysalis practices the following recovery principles;
- Participants determine their own path.
- Participants can and do overcome obstacles.
- Recovery focuses on people’s entire lives, including mind, body, spirit and community.
- Peer Support or mutual support plays an important role in recovery.
- There are multiple pathways to recovery based on participant’s unique strengths, preferences, experiences and cultural backgrounds.
- Recovery isn’t a step-by-step process but one based on continual growth, occasional setbacks and learning from experience.
Chrysalis works to address inequities and oppression in our community by promoting the following values;
- Celebrating the strengths that come from diverse experiences and preferences.
- Welcoming anyone at any stage in their mental health recovery journey.
- Recognizing people have the power to reach their individual goals and grow in various aspects of their life.
- Promoting inclusivity in the community by supporting meaningful work opportunities, and partnerships.
- Utilizing cultural humility to provide appropriate interventions that support the recovery and healing of those we serve.
Salary Range: $35,000 – $45,000
Application Due: August 7th, 2020
Start Date: September 7th, 2020
Please submit a cover letter AND resume to apply:
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail – Chrysalis, Inc.
1342 Dewey Court, Madison, WI 53704
Attn: Amy Holste- HR
Email or Call (608) 716-1566 with questions
Chrysalis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer